* Listen to the keyhole and you’ll hear news of yourself.
* He that talks to himself speaks to a fool.
* What greater crime than loss of time?
* The days follow each other, but are not alike.
* He that never climbed, never fell.
* Love is blind.
* Hot love is soon cold.
* Love is full of trouble.
* A friend in need is a friend indeed.
* Speech is silver, silence is gold.
* Still waters are deep.
* Hope is a poor’s man bread.
* A great fortune is a great slavery.
* Knowledge is power.
* A light purse is a heavy purse.
* Everything has an end.
* Every country has his coustoms.
* I cannot be young and old at the same time.
* I cannot be your friend and your flatterer too.
* Guests are thieves of time.
* Everything is good in its season.
* When you are at Rome, do as Rome does.
* First think and then say.
* Live and learn.
* Promise little and do much.
* All is well that ends well.
* All is not gold that glitters.
* Where there is a will, there is a way.
* Barking dogs seldom bite.
* Where there is life, there is hope.
* There is no rose without thorns.
* There is no rule without exception.
* There is no smoke without fire.
* A penny saved is a penny gained.
* Too many cooks spoil the broth.
* One swallow doesn’t make a summer.
* Extreems meet.
* Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.
* Think twice before you speak once.
* Speak well of your friend, of your enemy say nothing.
* Love me little, love me long.
* Strike the iron while it is hot.
* Marry in haste and repent at leisure.
* Don’t praise the day before it closes.
* Hope is a good breakfast, but a bad supper.
* In the country of a blind the one-eyed man is king.
* Man is the measure of all things.
* Never too old to learn.
* Near is my shirt, but nearer is my skin.
* Who keeps company with the wolf will learn to howl.
* Youth and age will never agree.
* Love will find a way.
* Respect a man, he will do the more.
* Who swims in sin will sink in sorrow.
* Who lives by hope will die by hunger.
* Who chatters to you will chatter of you.
* Out of sight, out of mind.
* A wise man changes his mind, a fool never.
* More than enough is too much.
* Money is round and rolls away.
* Night is the mother of counsel.
* Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.
* Life is made up of little things.
* Keep your mouth shut and your eyes open.
* Keep your eyes wide open before marriage and half shut afterwards.
* Give a man luck and throw him into the sea.
* A man is known by the company he keeps.
* No man is born wise.
* Some are wise and some are otherwise.
* None so deaf as those who woun’t hear.
* None so blind as those who woun’t see.
* No sweet without sweat.
* Poverty is no crime.
Culegere de Lori Balogh